Thursday, July 26, 2012

Girls Camp

I had the opportunity (for the 3rd year in a row) to be the Byron Camp Director (the first year I went, I was the assistant). I love Girls Camp, so I was excited to go with these girls! The theme this year was "Arise and Shine forth, that thy light may be a Standard to the Nations." Sometimes the planning part of camp can be overwhelming (and this year I had a hard time finding idea's for this theme, because they also had an Olympic twist to it as well. However, at the last minute of course; I came up with some pretty cool stuff!)

These were my girls (getting ready for their skit, hence the wig on Jamie!)
Macey, Maddy, Jamie, Cheyenne, and Sara

Jamie could not get enough of the wig! She had to stay in charactor until the skit - I suppose she needed to feel and really be the part!! Haha! I love her humor!

The opening ceremony - we walked around camp with our nations flag. Our nation was Macedonia.

Doing the skit!

That night they had a dance. I was concerned that this dance wouldn't be much fun, because I have never heard of a dance a Girls Camp - but it was a BLAST!! I forget how much fun you have when you let your hair down ;) The girls who were in charge of the dance, I guess you could call them the DJ's did an awesome job involving everyone, and I think everyone had a fun time!

The second day was certification day, and I was in charge of the 3rd years. After we got them certified there was time to spair to play some games! They had to rearainge themselves to be in birth order without falling of the log (they fell of the log many times, but they sure tryed not too!)

That afternoon they did Olympic games - which were so fun! I helped with the game where you take a tarp and you try to fit your whole group on it (groups where about 8 girls) then when you could fit everyone on - you fold it in half, and you see how small you can fold it. It was amazing to see the team work and how small the groups could get it!

That night ended off with some Snipe Hunting!! Turns out that Snipes don't like tooth paste (that is new to me!) Poor Macey was our only 1st year that hadn't been on a Snipe hunt!!

The next morning was the Hike. I chose the 3rd year hike because it was the longest and I felt like I needed to be cool or something and choose the longest hike. I'm glad I did, but BOY-O-BOY was I sore!!


We ended the 3rd day with Testimony meeting, which is always so spiritual. And I am blown away by these Young Women and their strong testimonies! And I learned so much from them, and they all helped strengthen my testimony! It is sometimes a wonder why we go through all the trouble for Girls Camp, and then when you get there - you remember why! It is a time where the girls can bond and where leaders can bond with the girls!

This was when we had cleaned our cabins and where ready to leave (YAH!).


Girls Camp was GREAT!!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I'm impressed. The truth is I hope to never be a camp leader - I don't care for camping. Although this looks a little different - where did you guys stay? We had to sleep in tents when we went to girls camp! When did they start using cabins???